Welcome to Reading for Pleasure
Why read for pleasure?
We know that reading more helps us to do better academically but what other benefits does it have?
Reading for pleasure has many known mental heath and social benefits, such as:
- improved relationships with others
- increased sense of empathy
- improved general wellbeing
- reductions in the symptoms of depression and dementia
- improved understanding of our own identity
- lower levels of stress (even reading for 6 minutes reduces levels by 68%, according to a recent survey)
We want all of our community (students, parents/carers and staff) to enjoy these positive outcomes . It is so important that reading is pleasurable and that we choose to do it on a regular basis. One of the best ways of enjoying reading is by making sure we find books that engage us and by sharing recommendations with each other. Remember :
“If you don’t like to read, you haven’t found the right book.”
― J.K Rowling
- Reverse Advent Calendars
Our students have been giving back this Christmas (Whole School - 10/12/2020)
- Incredible art work!
Talented Y8 (Whole School - 01/12/2020)
- Year 13 develop their painting skills!
Our A level students have been developing their skills within different paint mediums. (Art - 02/10/2020)
- National Poetry Day
Today is National Poetry Day (Whole School - 01/10/2020)
- The European Day of Languages
Hola, bonjour, hello, merhaba... (Modern Foreign Languages - 24/09/2020)