On the 22nd of May, 2013 the Department for Education announced the successful applicants of the 2014 Free School bidding round.
Out of the hundreds of organisations that applied, only 102 bids were selected and there was only one successful secondary application in the East Midlands...
Welcome to Nottingham Free School
An Outstanding Community School
I am delighted to be able to introduce you to Nottingham Free School and the tremendous opportunity this will offer for your child. This is the most exciting development in education I have been involved in during my 37 year career.
The Nottingham Free School is a direct result of overwhelming parental demand for a new secondary school in the Sherwood, Carrington, Mapperley Park, Woodthorpe and Mapperley areas. We will deliver the community's vision of a local outstanding school providing the highest standards of education and care for your child. We have a proven track record of delivering outstanding education for young people. Our flagship school Toot Hill is currently rated outstanding by Ofsted and is in the top 2% of all schools nationally for pupil progress.
Nottingham Free School will offer a traditional academic curriculum, delivered by experienced teachers with a track record of sustained high quality practice. Our extended school day offers the unique opportunity of an extensive extra curricular programme and academic support.
Applications are now closed, but please Apply Here if you wish to register your child's details as an expression of interest.
We look forward to you and your child contributing towards making Nottingham Free School an outstanding community school.
Executive Head Teacher
Even though applications have now closed, work on Nottingham Free School continues unabated behind the scenes.
Final application numbers for the Free School were very encouraging, showing that there is a real need for the school. Early indications are that the projected 90 to 120 places was an accurate assessment of demand from the community.
We will notify all parents who have applied for a place for their child at Nottingham Free School of the outcome of their application on the 14th of February 2014.
The Department for Education are currently in negotiations regarding the site for the school and as soon as we have confirmation of a location we will let you know.
We had our first interim Governors meeting last night which was very well attended. If you are interested in working with the group contact Jacki.
We are currently working on plans for a series of events for Year 6 students in the spring term and will update you further in the near future.
Free Schools have been featured in the press recently, raising some questions about how the schools operate. As a school within the Torch Academy Gateway Trust, Nottingham Free School will be run to the same exacting standards as our other schools; Toot Hill, Meden and the Nottingham University Samworth Academy.
Nottingham Free School can assure all parents that:
- All teachers will be fully qualified
- The school will be open and accountable to its Governing body
- School meals will follow DfE guidelines on nutrition and food standards
- The school will follow the National Curriculum
At present we are still waiting for the Department for Education to identify a school site.
This process can take months and it is possible we may not know for some time.
We have requested that the school be situated within the Sherwood, Carrington, Mapperley Park and Woodthorpe communities, as this is where demand from parents was strongest.
We can assure you that as soon as we know the location of the school we will let you know.
- 29th Nov 2013: Free School Update - Still no news to report on location of the site, but the first order for the school uniform has been placed.
- 12th Nov 2013: The 1st interim Govs meeting was held last night. If you are interested in working with the group email email@example.com
- 12th Nov 2013: If you are interested in NFS for your child but didn't apply in time we are accepting expressions of interest via http://t.co/88TTi8Oavc
- 12th Nov 2013: Final application numbers were very encouraging and the projected 90 to 120 places was an accurate assessment of demand from the community
- 12th Nov 2013: Apps have now closed but work conts behind the scenes.The DfE are in negotiations & as soon as we have conf of the site we will let you know